A different subject
Try these recipes
I've been looking for good seafood salad recipes. I found a couple that sounded good, kind of combined them and added some stuff that I thought would be good. Toni and I ate these the last two evenings and really liked them. Be sure to use enough salt and pepper. If you don't the flavors won't combine properly and the salads will taste pretty bland. Come on now! Salt is good for you and your body needs it. We ate the crab version over grilled chicken breasts and the shrimp version over fried bread.
CRAB SALAD
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup celery cut in ¼” dice
¾ cup green bell pepper cut in ¼” dice
2 tsp dried thyme (can use fresh also)
1 shallot, quartered and thinly sliced
½ lb crabmeat
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and season to taste. Add more lime juice and olive oil if you like. Refrigerate before serving to let flavors combine. Serve with lettuce and tomato or over fried bread. (Put a little olive oil in a skillet and heat. Place slices of Italian or French bread in the skillet and toast on both sides until golden brown. Add more oil as necessary.)
SHRIMP SALAD
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup celery cut in ¼” dice
¾ cup green bell pepper cut in ¼” dice
2 tsp dried thyme (can use fresh also)
1 shallot, quartered and thinly sliced
½ lb shrimp, peeled, steamed for 4 – 5 minutes, quenched in salted ice water and cut in ½” pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and season to taste. Add more lime juice and olive oil if you like. Refrigerate before serving to let flavors combine. Serve with lettuce and tomato or over fried bread. (Put a little olive oil in a skillet and heat. Place slices of Italian or French bread in the skillet and toast on both sides until golden brown. Add more oil as necessary.)

8 Comments:
Francis.....Go to www.prawnco.com......click on products under the retail tab. Check out the entire list of available product line on the left side......especially the Kobi beef 'loin strip' 10-14 lb ave. .....Notice that it isn't even imported.....I'd like to know how much it would cost if it was real Kobi beef......but the seafood is spectacular.....Oh by the way have you ever heard of "Peekytoe crab" ?
Hey Mike, I have never heard of peekytoe crab but would love to try it. (I'll check out that web site) Our shrimp salad and crab salad were awesome! Think I'll keep that man around. He can really cook!!!
Toni...If you ever do get annoyed with him, please send him across the street. Also, remember that you do have 2 willing taste testers nearby:)
Mike: I checked out prawnco.com. They have a lot of nice stuff. Some things are reasonably priced but some are pretty steep. When seafood is much above a dollar an ounce, I question whether it's worth it or not. I often judge it to be but not always. King crab has been much less than $23.95/lb at Giant Eagle recently. But the price for stone crab claws might be good even at $40.95/lb because you don't see them often and certainly not at 4 oz each. Have you ever eaten New Zealand mussels? Very good and not bad at all at $14.95/lb.
......Actually I thought their prices were ridiculous....$1000 on ave for a beef loin ???? I haven't had mussles for a long long time, nobody eats them but me.....Hell, we can't get the kids to eat lamb unless it's gyros. The price for blue crab on that site was obscene ($96 a doz)...I remember when you could get a bushel, from Anapolis to Salisbury, for $15.....$20 nearer the Seashore.....I just came across that site while looking for something else (peekytoes)....they are delicious but I found out they aren't as mysterious as I had thought. They are the Atlantic version of Dungeness crabs, Sand, Rock or Jonah crab depending on where you are on the coast.(The bastards are all over the place where ever I fish, sum of a batchin Bumpouses crabs.) I've always found the Dungeness to be the the sweetest crab, the blue crab second (King and snow are like spiney lobster - blah)...but this crab is even better than Dungeness. For years the lobster fishermen have been plaqued by these little critters (they fill their traps and were just dumped back into the sea)....somebody gave them a cute name and marketed them in the late '90s when the lobster drought started.....It is now the chic crab used in all the best Restaurants up and down the east coast.....Now comes the irony,in New England 70-80 years ago,only the destitute ate lobster. Children that took lobster sandwiches to school were derided by their classmates. In Maine right now they will not touch peekytoes...they still call them Jonahs and laugh that inlanders will eat them.....nobody has much memory, do they?
That is the real problem in the world - nobody remembers the important stuff. Some people can tell you what team won the Super Bowl when or who won the latest version of American Idol but can't manage to use any neurons for clear thinking on anything that's really important.
I hate to differ with you, but I happen to like all crabs and all lobsters. I never met a crustacean I didn't like.
Wholeys has had those New Zealand mussels every time I've been there. Nobody at my house eats them so I pull a few out from the freezer, douse them with olive oil and salt and microwave them for a delicious side dish.
I read about the disdain the New Englanders have for lobster. I might be able to get tired of lobster if I lived up there but I can't prove this because I've never had the chance.
Now, think about this: I read that the Pilgrims didn't eat lobster and fed it to their pigs instead. The Pilgrims weren't going out to sea with traps to catch the lobsters. At least I don't think so. They might have gone out after cod. Did they catch lobsters accidentally in the nets? Did they use nets? Were the lobsters so plentiful that they could wade out a few feet into the surf and pick up a few?
I think the problem was that the Pilgrims didn't have butter - it had to be something. Feed lobster to pigs?
Great idea!!! Mike and Fran cook mussels for themselves and also cook lobster and shrimp for their significant others!! What about that? :)
Cook your own damn lobster woman......We man are tired of being your boy toys......We never should have allowed you people the right to vote or drive. See what happens now !?! We are expected to feed you also....If you people stayed in the kitchen like you were supposed to , this would never have happened..... (sorry Toie...I watched the SOTU message last nite and was temporarily overcome with Republican fervor...it will not happen again... )
Post a Comment
<< Home