Friday, January 04, 2008

A second edition today!!!

When was Reddi-Wip invented?

In what year was it available to most of the country?

When was saccharin invented?

What country produces 95 percent of the world's supply of saffron?

7 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The internet is a wonderful tool,
1948 Aaron 'Bunny' Lapin invented Reddi-Wip, first sold by St. Louis milkmen

Saccharin was invented by a german, Constantin Fahlberg, in the US in 1879

I give up on the Saffron?????

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...no fair using the intertubes on trivia questions......Francis are you sure about that saffron question ? If so the answer is Iran...buuuuutttttt....It is also a big export of Spain, Greece, Italy, and India, 95% sounds awful high. Something I'm sure you know with your vast knowledge of the War of 1812, that Pennsylvania was also at one time one of the largest producers of saffron. The British destroyed the saffron merchant fleet during the war so the Pa. Dutch started growing mushrooms. There is still a large amount of fields in Lancaster but it is used by the Dutch for their baked goods and noodles. Before the War saffron equalled the price of gold maybe that's why they are pacifists. ;-)

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got your Nat-Geo e-mail.....another Right-wing lie...... That picture of a British Frogman being attacked by a shark of the coast of South Africa ? Not true....That picture is over 5 years old and on the artist's website, he showed how he took three different pictures and photo shopped them. It won an award(some nameless blogger award) back around 02, as a top 10 web hoax. Even though the perp never intended it as such. He was trying to show how easily it could be done and someone picked up the picture and started a whole mess of e-mail stories......I've seen at least three different versions of stories around the picture. Australian navy, Navy Seals in San Diego and Brits in the Falklands. Sort of like Chris' giant Grizzly Bear.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved if you missed it.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last post may not be as clear as I meant it......saffron was literally worth its weight in gold.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Yes, Reddi-Wip was invented in 1948 but in what year might Pittsburghers have been able to buy it?

Yes, saccharin was accidentally invented in 1879. Saveur magazine (great cooking mag) cites Johns Hopkins University chemists as the inventors. It was prohibited by the FDA at first but was reintroduced during WWI's sugar shortage.

I am surprised with the answer to the saffron question too. Saveur says that Iran produces 95% of the world's saffron. I thought the big producer was Spain.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although the majority of the world's saffron is produced in Iran, Spain is the world's largest exporter of saffron.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home