Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Erectile Dysfunction

I am a member of a generation
that considered some things too personal to talk about in public.
Prophylactics, feminine deodorant spray, Tampax, IUD's etc. were never advertized. They didn't have to be. And they really don't have to be now. But they are.
I have learned to get along with this change in US culture. But I have to admit that I've grown tired of the erectile dysfunction commercials.
The Viagra commercials are over the top. In one version, a country music group of older men sings "Viva Viagra". The makers of Viagra also delved into the absurd with the Bob Dole commercials in which he admits he uses "the little blue pill".
The Cialis commercials are as bad, I think. I wondered what the purpose of the bathtubs in the Cialis ads was. I guessed that a man and a woman in separate antique and footed bathtubs was an image from a recent movie. I don't waste my money on modern movies so I thought I was in the dark about this.
I looked for an explanation. I haven't found a definitive answer yet except that the image is not from any movie. Opinions have ranged from "two aroused adults that can't be shown otherwise", to "slow down and enjoy", to "baths get a woman relaxed and ready".
It's a good thing that electrons are virtually limitless because we use so many of them on useless communications.
(This communication is useful and the electrons have therefore been put to a good use, of course!!!)

2 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Kristen said...

This is one post that I agree with 100 percent! I'm sick of all of those ads. I used to hate the Cialis/Viagra commercials the most, but now the ads for the "personal lubricants" are at the top of my list. They're even worse! I rarely watch commercials at all. I tend to channel surf during commercial breaks. Or sometimes we pause the t.v. at the start of a show and then do the dishes or something so that we can fastforward over the commercials.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What no more angst about "Dip Stick" ads ???? ...... I'm serious about this next statement. I read about the use of focus groups and how they frame thought patterns. "I love Lucy" (along with "Andy Griffith Show" and unbelievably "I Love Jeannie") rated very highly with Affluent White Baby Boomers and older. .... . In a cross study for Geriatric Products, their focus groups found that the antique tubs reminded them fondly of the Lucy and Desi separate beds......Just think if this stuff was out in 1970......Lawrence Welk would never have been taken off the air.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home