Saturday, January 30, 2010

Didja know?



Fortune cookies are an American invention. Most native Chinese have no idea what a fortune cookie is. The cookies were made by hand using chop sticks to fold the dough over the printed fortune and lucky numbers. The fortune cookie making machine was invented in 1964. There's one company in the US making all of the fortune cookies you get with your meal.

Oyster Sauce wasn't invented until 1888 and it happened by accident. Many of the great things we enjoy were the results of accidents. Lee Kam Sheung left a pot of oyster soup cooking too long. When he tried the thickened brown broth he realized he had something. He lived in Guangdong province and founded the Lee Kum Kee company which makes Oyster Sauce in factories in the US and around the world.

I've decided to perform a public service by giving you updates on Chinese culture. The Chinese will own The United States soon if they don't already.

Keep smiling. Vote intelligently.

Francis

8 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Vote intelligently." .... Sage advice, ironic, but sage never the less.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Fran said...

I thought you were against deficit spending and gargantuan national debt. Or is that just when you don't like the guy that's doing dirty on the nation? I haven't seen any fiscal responsibility harangues from you lately. Why not?

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous jess said...

he he...i am cracking up! couldn't figure out why in the heck you were talking about fortune cookies...got it now...you are funny

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Francis...... There are times where I really do not think you listen to anything I tell you.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Kristen said...

I didn't know. Very interesting.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Michael - I listen to you but I don't understand you. If the message is not received it could be the fault of the sender.

You and your ilk are being boiled in the condescention soup of your own making. (We do have a sense of humor over here. "condenced soup" Get it. It's just a play on words. You still don't get it?)

Be condescending and dismiss us as idiots at the almost certain peril of your current ill-gotten power.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do not understand what I tell you maybe it is because you do not understand your own rants. Capitalism only works if someone has a product and someone is willing to buy this product. Let's forget my "Cassandra" prescience of the last decade (I'm sure that will not be hard for you). I will try again to enlighten you. For thirty years we have elected fools that have made it easier and easier to export jobs to other countries. Hence there is an erosion of the blue collar working middle class. Leaving nothing left of the middle class except the white collar workers. Who are now gone after a decade of living on credit to make ends meet. The middle class has not got the money to keep the Capitalistic wheels churning. If the people cannot spend then the system dies. The only recourse is for the collective WE (government) to spend. In order to save Capitalism. Just as Roosevelt did after your people did the exact same thing, 80 years ago. I agree with you that this is the wrong direction. .... but for an entirely different reason. I think Roosevelt was wrong for saving Capitalism as we know it. People do not remember history....and it gets repeated.

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot one more segment of the middle class that is still working, Government workers. Without the 1/3 of the stimulus their services would have been deeply curtailed. Your children might not have been effected but assuredly many of their co-workers would have and all of us other taxpayers. ..... I might also point out that TARP was a Bush initiative and the restructuring (not a Communist takeover) of GMC and Chrysler was necessary to save Capitalism from itself. The Bush administration was willing to allow them to fail and put even more people out of work. I guess Unka Dick had stock in Toyota (It must be so ...considering their recent troubles)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home