Thursday, March 01, 2012

Stuff I Didn't Know

























I knew that Jesse Owens, winner of 4 gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, made Hitler so apoplectic that he wouldn't shake Owens' hand. (Well maybe I did. In 2009, Siegrfried Mischner, 83, claimed he had seen a picture of Hitler shaking Owens' hand and that Owens carried the picture in his wallet.)


I didn't know that blacks won 14 or 15 medals (depending on the source); almost 25% of the medals the United States won. There are 14 people in the list below but the last picture above shows Delos Thurber as winner of the bronze medal in the high jump - a clean sweep for the United States


African American Medalists
David Albritton High jump, silver
Cornelius Johnson High jump, gold
James LuValle 400-meter run, bronze
Ralph Metcalfe 4x100-meter relay, gold100-meter dash,silver
Jesse Owens 100-meter dash, gold, 200-meter dash, gold, Broad (long) jump, gold, 4x100-meter relay, gold
Frederick Pollard, Jr 100-meter hurdles, bronze
Matthew Robinson 200-meter dash, silver
Archie Williams 400-meter run, gold
Jack Wilson Bantamweight boxing, silver
John Woodruff 800-meter run, gold


The second picture is of Matthew Robinson, silver medalist in the 200-meter dash. He was the older brother of Jackie Robinson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home