I read a bit about Single Payer healthcare
And I read information only from supporters.
I haven’t gotten into the subject enough to read what the critics have to say.
But, at first blush, I can say that it all sounds too good to be true (all the reductions in costs along with improvements in service brought about by the elimination of administrative overhead), and you know what they say about those kinds of things.
Firstly, the economic figures predicted by the supporters of the Single Payer plan can’t be verified any more than Ralph Reiland’s can.
Secondly, any program that is controlled by centralized government makes me very nervous and suspicious.
Proponents say things like this: “And government isn’t all bad. Government has provided us with public libraries, the GI Bill, Social Security, police and fire protection, the Do-Not-Call list, emergency services, national parks... there's bad, sure, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore the good.”
Let’s review these allegedly good things one at a time:
1) Public Libraries – Well maybe in some places but not around here as far as I know. And if government did provide public libraries I'm betting it was local government that did it – not the federal government.
2) The GI Bill - This program has certainly helped many veterans. But the federal government had to be shamed into providing it in the first place. And it was needed primarily because of the paltry amounts our service people are paid and secondarily because technology changed employment opportunities.
3) Social Security – Now there’s a joke of a program. No man or woman ever gets, for themselves or their families, anywhere near what they contributed. It’s nothing more than redistribution of wealth.
4) Police and fire protection and emergency services – Well that’s what government is supposed to provide. I don’t take extra credit for doing what I’m supposed to do.
5) The Do Not Call List – Another major joke. That program doesn’t work and you have to re-register for something that doesn’t work every year.
6) National Parks - Oooo! Are they referring to those national parks that are being ceded to the United Nations as World Heritage sites? World Heritage my ass. Those lands belong to the people of the United States. Not also to some tea-sipping European socialist bureaucrat.
So, in summary, the less government in my life the very much better. Government should do what it was designed to do: Provide security, wage war if necessary and regulate just enough that the playing field remains level for all.
Then there’s the subject of funding: "The program would be federally financed and administered by a single public insurer at the state or regional level. Premiums, copayments, and deductibles would be eliminated. Employers would pay a 7.0 percent payroll tax and employees would pay 2.0 percent, essentially converting premium payments to a health care payroll tax. 90 to 95 percent of people would pay less overall for health care. Financing includes a $2 per pack cigarette tax."
What’s going to happen after they tax cigarettes out of existence? Or are they counting on some number of people to ignore warnings and continue to smoke and thereby continue to fund a system that can’t reverse the effects of their smoking?
Come on!!! This is freaking ludicrous.
Some time soon I’ll comment on information provided by the critics of Single Payer who are more educated in the concept than I am.
But so far: "SHEEEESH!!! What a mouse!!!"
So much ado about nothing
If you think back to the first Gulf War you might remember stories about Saddam having several Saddam look-alikes who were paraded around to confuse his enemies both at home and abroad. He was compelled to take a physical when he was hauled out of the hole in the ground in the aftermath of the second Gulf War in order to verify that he was the real Saddam.
Now the media is going nuts over whether the guy on today's Osama Bin Laden tape is really Osama or not. I say the guy on the tape a stunt double.

7 Comments:
Right now my employer is paying a 22.5% payroll tax and I'm paying a 5.5% tax.....This with a $2K deductible, $15 co-pay and $125 emergency room charge.....You're a man of science and must have taken a little Math when you went to school to get your degree.....If I was a Republicant which plan would I choose ?
GI bill, when do you think and for what purpose was it passed ?.....It was one of the best Social programs ever instituted after WWII....Along with the Marshall Plan ...They got the world on it's feet and produced the greatest Middle Class in the Earth's history.....Japan and Europe still have their Social programs intact while you people keep attacking ours....No wonder their Middle Class is still vibrant....Compair that with the NeoCon version instilled in IraqiranNam....with their outsourcing of labor....maybe if they put the Iraqis to work back in '03 they wouldn't have so much time on their hands to create mischief????
Social Security....Damn, your a caricature of a Hannity. "Who gets what they put into it"....Don't be such a tool....THOSE THAT LIVE LONG ENOUGH....It's an Insurance policy if you live too long. On the reverse, hopefully you never get your money back from what you paid into your house, car or health insurance....It's INSURANCE MAN not a retirement fund....It's there if you get disabled, or die with dependents.....some Americans are not as fortunate as us. I have also told you why it is soooooo high, but of course it's Roosevelt's fault and not Reagan's fault. Most assuredly not the bonnie prince's fault why it will never be paid back because it's needed to fund IraqiraNam.
As for other Government....FDA, EPA etc do they ring a bell?...How about National Guard ? Maybe if we had a National Guard there wouldn't have been so many human carcases rotting for a week in NOL. You like raw sewage in the streets and your water? Of course you can afford the bottled kind...but, but how can you trust that, or your food source, or your drugs?....How do you know that the gas station isn't cheating you? The contractor is using the correct materials?....How does he ? If you do get cheated or poisoned how do you get satisfaction ? What about public schools....I guess if someone wants their child edgicated they will just have to find a private school , right ? Besides the lil prince proved that you don't need no edgication ta be preznut....If your Daddy got enough money to buy you that edgication.
.......I moved to K-d1 a week ago.....will you move already.... You will have to get graphics capabilities for our next game so my fans can see exactly how I'm humiliating you. ;-) ....(ps the wink is, that I would have any fans....not that I will not humiliate you)
.....Oh and your Bin FN Laden comments.....You are sooooo cute when you do that naive thingee....butter would not melt in your mouth, Please, Please, Please don't tell me you are serious. Please do not tell me you do not know where these videos are coming from.......When your people attack Iran under the same false accusations that they attacked Iraq starting the real Holy War, you will use this video as one of your justifications........I'm beginning to understand what Cassandra was going thru.
N - A6
Post a Comment
<< Home